THE VAL INCIDENT...

The first thing I knew about Valentine's day was that it had something to do with red.

Ignorantly, I had dressed up for work that February 14 morning in my black polo shirt tucked into a smart six pieces red skirt. 

The first lady that met me was our neighbor, she screamed from a distance "So you celebrate Valentine too?" 

"Is today Valentine?" I asked with a obvious smile. Forgive my ignorance, I was just a teenager with less exposure. 

"You don't know? Today is Val o. And I'm surprised you are celebrating it."

I just probably smiled and went my way. For me, it wasn't a big deal. If only I knew that Valentine's day spells doom for most teenagers, I would have considered at least a change of clothes. 

Fast forward to trekking back home after work, I was about to pass the lonely pathway when I discovered a guy hurrying up to catch up with me. 

"Valentine babe, how far na?"

I ignored him and continued walking. His pace increased. I increased my steps too.

"Baby girl, I'm talking to you."

I just kept walking. My intelligent head had told me that if ever I was going to talk to this bad guy coming, it wasn't meant to be in that secluded pathway. In no time, we were in a mini race. 

"You no be correct babe. Idiot." He said, immediately I escaped to open space.

As I walked back home with a heightened level of consciousness, I realized how important it was to note event trends and be mindful of its dangers. 

I was this decently dressed girl but the mere fact that I decided to wear that color combo that day spelled something different entirely. 

Now, get the lesson. We are in a more civilized world today and the color combination may not  always mean as much as it did back then. However the morale of the story should not be ignored.

You do not want to be raped or sexually harassed, yet you are planning to attend a Valentine party tomorrow.

You do not hope to get engaged to him, yet you've agreed to go on a date with him on Valentine's day. That's not wisdom, my lady.

You do not intend to get her laid, but she's been all over you pestering you for just a plate of icecream at a very nice secluded environment on not just any other day but Valentine's day.  My brother, wisdom demands you be more careful.

It is no more news that the Valentine event is characterized with sexual immorality. Even those who do not plan to engage in immoral activities may eventually find themselves in the web due to carelessness and peer pressure.

Whether or not Valentine is a day worth celebrating is not the issue. My counsel to you is that you be careful and conscious of yourself this season especially if you have wayward friends. 

I love you.

Written by Fruitful E. John

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A WEDDING NIGHT WITH KNOWN SEX...

Xerona Duke Is Engaged.

Funke Akindele's New Movie A TRIBE CALLED JUDAH: A Triumph Of Talent, Resilience and Inspiration.